Check that the system you are going to be using for the class has the following:
- Pentium 133mhz or higher
- Sound Blaster-Compatible Sound Card with speaker and microphone jacks
- 16MB RAM (32 MB recommended)
- 2 MB Video Card capable of 800x600 resolution
- 15" Monitor capable of 800x600 resolution
- 20x CD-ROM or better
- Internet access via T1, cable, ADSL, or Dial-Up modem
- *Recommend a head set with earphones and attached microphone
- Windows95, Windows98, Windows NT 4.x
- Internet Explorer 4.x or Netscape Communicator 4.x
- Are you behind a firewall? If so&
a. Who is the firewall vendor (not critical but it helps us to know)?
b. Is firewall limited to http traffic and port 80?
- Are you using a proxy server to get to the Internet? (This info can be found in the Preferences/Options sections in IE and Netscape.) If so&
a. What is the port?
b. What is the IP?
c. Is authentication necessary? If YES, then student software will not work.
This is a rare instance.
If your system does not have one or more of these items or you are not sure, ask your local computer support person. For special issues that may arise with firewalls, please contact Randall Guynes as noted below in the email addresses.
* You will need a microphone to speak to the Instructor and either speakers or a headphone to hear the Instructor. Regular speakers and a microphone will suffice, but the headset makes it a lot easier for the student to connect with relative privacy. Any headset with a microphone will do. ILJ does not recommend any set over another and a very inexpensive set will suffice. We show Labtec here as an example only.
For further information about material on this page, please contact at ILJ.